Dance Magic: The Perks of Attending a Gala…
It’s that time of year again: gala time! As an arts supporter you have likely received a gala invitation or two (or twenty) from your favorite arts groups. Galas provide a great opportunity for arts organizations to celebrate a year of work, honor supporters and raise funds. They are also a fun way for those who love the organization to celebrate its achievements and the people who make them happen. While I have had the pleasure of attending many different kinds of arts events, I had yet to experience a gala until last weekend, so anticipation was high when I got the opportunity to attend the Carolyn Dorfman Dance Company gala last Saturday. Attending the gala as a volunteer, I got a behind-the-scenes look at what goes into preparing for such an event. As volunteers, board members and staff worked diligently coordinating a fundraising auction and welcoming guests, I learned just what a gala entails. One amazing performance, several new friends, and many tasty treats later, my first gala experience was complete. So, for those considering supporting an arts organization by attending their fundraiser or for those who are already looking forward to an upcoming event, here are my Top 5 Favorite Things About Attending a Gala:
5) Celebrating the organization’s work. So much hard work goes into helping an arts organization flourish. I was glad to have the opportunity to honor the staff, board and company members’ hard work in creating a wonderful season.
4) Partying down! I ate, laughed, and even swing danced with some of my favorite friends in the field.
3) Supporting a wonderful arts organization. Carolyn Dorfman Dance Company raised funds that will help them continue to provide high quality performances and arts education regionally.
2) Meeting new friends and spending time with old ones. I had a wonderful time catching up with old friends and enjoyed meeting new friends who share a love of the arts.
1) Experiencing the work. As the gala’s theme was “In the End…It’s All About Love,” the company’s performance was a celebration of love and relationships. The fun, engaging dance performances reminded me of the artistry we were there to support and got me excited for projects yet to come.